Thursday, February 02, 2006

Those of you with weak stomachs...

... Should probably skip this entry. Anyway, you guys will have to expect that at some point this blog will become "Jaime's gross vet stories blog".
Actually that time is now. So the doc spayed a dog on Tues, and I come in Wed morning to work. I feed her, let her go potty, yadayadayada. Anyway, apparently the dumbass dog had chewed her sutures the night before, and when she jumped into her owners car, her incision opened up a little. Not terribly common (not the docs fault), but not really a big deal.

Doc was in surgery when all of this occurred, so we put her in the kennel and told the owner she'd have to stay one more night. TEN minutes later I walk back into the kennel to knock her out so that Doc could sew her back up, and she had ripped her entire incision back open. Blood and doggie guts everywhere! Still she comes walking right out of the kennel tail wagging like it was nothing. Still, not really a big deal.

So we knock her out and get her on the table, then realize she has chewed through her own intestine...Okay now its a big deal. Peritonitis, along with any other number of nasty kinds of infection are now an issue. Cause you know, its never a good idea to dump intestinal contents into the abdominal cavity. Anyway he sews her large intestine back together, recloses the incision and pumped her full of some serious antibiotics. She should be fine. Anyway, ruined his morning, but at least I got to see something really cool!! Is that selfish??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I am torn between not-pretty situations that are pretty cool to be a part of. How are you supposed to feel?
MK

(I can't remember my stupid blogger ID password, sorry)

Anonymous said...

Ew ew EWWWWW!!! I had to read, I couldn't help myself. And that was gross. But I'm glad that you were able to...ahem....learn something. (Gross.) ;)